Company History

Central Group began in 1947 as a small family shop run by Tiang Chirathivat in the city of Bangkok. His son, Samrit Chirathivat, in 1956 expanded the general merchandise business with the establishment of the first Central Department Store in Bangkok’s Wang Burapha district.

We’ve been making history for more than
72 Years

Both father and son were fully engaged in running the business, and were helped by other family members. This era was one of bustling trade and growth, and the visionary Tiang and Samrit quickly established businesses that were characterized by many “firsts” in Thailand. They were the first to import international cosmetic brands, the first to focus on customer services, the first to introduce a fixed price tag, the first to utilize barcodes for payment, and the first to institute a loyalty program among Thai retailers.

Under the stewardship of the Chirathivat family, Central Group has grown to become one of Thailand’s most recognizable brands and among the most successful retail conglomerates in Southeast Asia. The Chirathivat vision for the retail business has been passed on from generation to generation. Our expansion into the omni-channel arena has helped to drive our growth and strengthen our leadership position across multiple retail categories.


Our heritage (1947-2018)